When we start a fitness journey, we usually start with a goal. It may be to lose some weight, gain muscle tone, or to get more mobile. Whatever your goal, it's important to have a strategy to achieve it. Here are 7 tips to help you achieve your goals.
1. Make a plan
Whether it’s a healthy meal plan, or a fitness program, if you don't make a plan, you plan to fail. You’ll know exactly what you need to do each day in order to achieve your goals, which will keep you on track.
Talk to a Fitness Results Personal Trainer to get a personalised plan made just for you.
2. Set realistic goals
Setting realistic, achievable goals is not given enough emphasis when it comes to keeping you committed to your fitness journey. If your goals are unachievable, it can leave you feeling like you've failed when you fall short of achieving them. Which can end up with you abandoning your fitness journey. Make sure you set short-term and long-term achievable goals that can be maintained.
3. Keep up the H2O
Dehydration will accelerate muscle fatigue, so don't let it hold you back from hitting your goals. Keep hydrated throughout the day by always having a water bottle handy. When working out, you should aim to drink approximately 200ml of water for every 15 minutes of intense exercise.
4. Workout first thing in the morning
You may think that working hard in the morning will leave you fatigued for the rest of the day, but you may be surprised to find the opposite can happen. Getting into your workout first thing in the morning ensures you’ll never let a big day get in the way of achieving your goals. Plus the post-workout endorphin rush will leave you feeling pumped for the day ahead.
5. Make it quick
If you’re short on time, there’s no need to skip your workout! Why not try a shorter workout such as boxing or high intensity interval training (HIIT). You’ll still get a great workout in and save on time, after all, it's doing a bit every day that makes the difference.
6. Keep track
There are a plethora of apps available for tracking your workouts and calorie intakes. They can be a great way to quantify the work you've been putting in. My Fitness Pal is a popular choice, and Lifesum is another option with beautiful design.
7. Moderate, but don’t eliminate
Remember to Treat. Yo. Self. If you’re trying to make a healthy lifestyle change, try sticking to the 80:20 method: 80% of the food you eat should be clean and nutritious, and use the other 20% to treat yourself. It's not always necessary to go cold turkey and cut out the foods you love entirely.